Whether it’s daydreaming, stress or fighting off a bad mood, having a ritual can keep you from plunging into the red during your workday. The following tips are your prescription for a calm, empowered day.
• Lemony fresh – Add lemon to your water to promote brain focus and energy (not to mention, detoxifying blood and boosting your metabolism). Don’t worry if you can’t get to a fresh lemon; a drop of essential oil has the same effect.
• Light it up – Place an eco-friendly soy candle on your desk and you not only have a West Elm cube, but also a few moments gazing at the flickering flames counts as meditation (for real!). Bonus: A calming scent like lavender scent fights stress and fatigue, while citrus promotes energy and humor.
• Snack happy – Don’t forget to load up on healthy snacks to keep you energized throughout your shift. The golden rule is protein with a plant, so pack combos like peanut butter spread on a grain, fruit and nuts, or veggies and hummus.
• Caffienate wisely – Coffee has too many health benefits to kick, but just stick to one or two cups -spread over a few hours – to avoid fatiguing your adrenal glands. Instead, opt for water, green juice, green tea and b-vitamin powders like Emergen-C. And there’s a reason for so many options; getting a new beverage every hour guves you something to look forward to, and makes you feel like you’re getting a little treat!
• Sound cloud – A noise machine or lyric-less music like Native American flutes, for example, entertain your dreaming brain so your business brain can destroy tasks sans distraction!
• Posture counts – HOW you sit is key for not just a comfortable work sesh, but also a comfortable aging process. It’s true what they say; sitting is the new smoking – mostly because poor posture can restrict circulation, cause muscle tension, and misshapen the spine over time. Learn yoga posture and all the different yoga stretchesthat you can easily do from your desk. It can be the difference between a healthy spine, and a sore back that doesn’t go away.
A new work ritual can free you from a perpetual “Monday,” and empower you to feeling that “Friday” vibe, everyday.